Image result for Find the Right Windows ComputerImage result for Find the Right Windows Computer
In the bike version, you can have a light and strong bike made of carbon fiber, but it will be expensive. Or you can have a cheap, strong bike made of steel, but it will be heavy. You get the idea.
As a hard-core geek, I'm always buying computers or computer-related equipment.
But buying a new work machine is a big decision, and one that involves a lot of choices. There are tradeoffs, just like when buying a bike or car or guitar.

When I started scouring the Internet for my new computer, I had a number of requirements. Note that this is how you should buy your computer: know what your top priorities are, and search accordingly. In my case, here is my list, in descending order of importance.
  • A laptop. I move around my house a lot. Since I write and edit all day, I switch locations as it can be difficult for me to be in one place for 10 hours or more. I also like to go out and work, at the local Panera or Starbucks. I find that being around other people is invigorating, even if I'm not talking to them. The laptop doesn't have to be especially light, since I don't travel for business that much anymore, but light weight is always appreciated.
  • It needs to have Windows 8.1 installed. I have a great Windows 7 desktop now, so of course I need Microsoft's latest operating system (OS). When Windows 10 comes out later this year, I'll be upgrading to that immediately.
  • It needs a very high resolution screen. Computer monitors are getting better and better, which is a good thing for me. As my eyes age, a sharp display is a must-have. For me, it needs to be at least the resolution of my Retina display MacBook Pro, which is 2560x1600 pixels. At that level, my eyes don't get fatigued by staring at the screen all day.
  • It needs a fast processor and fast hard drive. For me, that means an Intel i-7 processor (currently the fastest available), and an SSD (solid-state drive). Those drives don't have mechanical parts, making them faster than older types of drives. They can also be accessed much quicker, making me more efficient.
     I like 13-inch screens. For me, that's the best compromise of size and portability. I find the laptops with 15-inch screens to be a little larger and heavier than I like, and 11-inch and smaller screens make me squint too much.As you may have noticed, price isn't on this list. That's the tradeoff. I can't have all those things I want, and not pay a lot for it. The key, when shopping for a new computer, is to understand that you can't get the fastest fire-breathing computer out there, but have a budget of just $300. That kind of money will get you a low-end computer with minimal RAM, slow processor and older hard drive.In fact, with my requirements, I knew I was probably looking at a laptop that cost $1,300 or more. But for me, it was worth it. That's because my business revolves around my computers, so it's an investment worth making. If you're a hard-core gamer, you're looking at similar machines. If you just like to watch YouTube, check Facebook and surf Pinterest or ESPN, that $300 laptop may be the perfect computer for you.
    So, what did I end up buying? I went with a Dell XPS 13 13.3-inch touchscreen laptop. Here are the main specs:
  • Windows 8.1
  • Intel Core i-7 Processor
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD
  • 13.3-inch Screen. The resolution is 3200x1880 pixels
As you can see, the Dell checked every box on my list. I've also owned many Dells in the past, and they have been good, reliable computers for me.
When looking for a new computer, making a similar list will help you zero in on potential fits much more quickly. One of the great things about the Windows market compared to the Mac market is that there's a tremendous amount of variety, allowing you to find the perfect match for your wallet and expectations.
Remember, though, that you can only pick two.